Monday, March 29, 2010

"Blog" is not a cool word.

Well, here it is. My first-ever blog post. And I have absolutely no idea how to do this.

Blogging is stigmatized. Anyone see that Twix commercial? This guy at a party invites a girl to his apartment, and she's incredibly offended that he would come on so strongly (they don't show the before clips, but I'm sure she was doing her fair share of flirting, so who can blame the poor dude?), so he chewed it over with Twix and said, "I just thought you'd like to come over and we can blog about our ideals." Well, what do you know? He got her to come over. She "loves blogging!"

Blogging.
What a stupid word. I mean, blog? Really? At least Facebook's name makes a little sense...it's a virtual book of faces. "Twitter" just sounds like a website for story-telling. But the word "blog" is so...nerdy. It immediately brings to mind a picture of a skinny white boy in a slightly wrinkled polo shirt tucked into high-waisted khaki pants that land about 3 inches above his ankles, revealing high, slightly mismatched tube socks. This boy just played around with his TI-193 and can't WAIT to tell all his followers (a sea of glasses and pencil protectors) about how easily he completed his p-chem homework with his new apparatus. (And yes, he uses the word "apparatus" in his blog post.)

Well, I'm a nerd. I don't wear short pants, and I definitely could not pass p-chem--or any college chemistry class, for that matter--but I am a nerd at heart. I find punny jokes about electrons and European countries absolutely hilarious. I listen to classical music and laugh at dorky online comics. Therefore, I find it fitting that I blog.

My second motivation to create a blog has been my Facebook statuses. Over the past year, I've developed somewhat of a following on Facebook due to witty (or, if not witty, self-deprecatingly honest) status updates. But after a while, the 2-sentence limit on statuses began to cramp my style; I wanted to write more, and be able to expand on my views about Miley Cyrus and eating peanut butter out of the jar.

Therefore, I bring you Geek Chic. I hope you enjoy my blogs (the word will never sound cool). I'll try my best to provide insight, or at least a laugh at my expense.

I'm not sure how to end blog posts yet...but I don't think "happy following" will make me sound cool.

The End...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment